If your surface drainage system does not work properly, it may cause water to pool in your yard. This can lead to a wet basement or crawl space, as well as foundation problems. In addition, pooling water can wreak havoc on your landscaping. If you have noticed that water often pools in your yard, contact the experts at Ground Up Foundation Repair. We work with you to find the best solution for the pooling water in your yard.
Some of the main causes of pooling water are:
- Leaking or clogged gutters:
- If the gutters on your home become clogged or start leaking, they may dump water next to your foundation, causing it to build up and pool.
- Downspouts that are too short:
- Downspouts that do not extend far enough away from your home will dump water out near the foundation.
- Improperly graded ground:
- The landscaping around your home must be properly sloped to allow water to run away from the foundation. If this is not the case, water may pool in the yard around the foundation.
- Lack of underground exterior drainage:
- Catch basins and dry wells in the yard can collect pooling water and keep it from damaging your foundation.
Sample Rain Event Estimate:
In a rain event of 4” as much as 6,000 gallons of water is generated and can accumulate in the adjacent area to an average sized (2500 sq ft) home. Of course, there are many factors which play a role in what happens to this water, such as: the slope of your property, existing landscaping and the type of soils present. Ground Up Foundation Repair can assess your particular situation and help you come up with an expert solution.
If water is pooling directly around your foundation it can lead to moisture issues in your basement. Water that pools in your yard near the foundation is more likely to seep through porous concrete and leak into your basement through foundation cracks. If the pooling water seeps into the concrete of your foundation, it may even weaken the foundation, and make it more susceptible to foundation cracks and ultimately compromising the stability of your foundation.